Wezen – Gewording
Wezen is a serie of a music-theatre works where I try to explore the relationship between theatrical gesture and musical instrument, between the body and the sonic world. In Gewording (Becoming) the link between physical and sonic gesture is explored during a live performance, combining movement of the body and live coding.
Over the course of more than 20 performances this work has evolved building the performance/instrument/composition, developing code, physical instruments, sonic textures and a movement language step by step. By giving equal importance to the physical movement as a theatrical event and the transparancy of the process of building up the code and processes that connect the movement to sound, the work puts into question where the boundaries between composition, instrument building and performance lie as well as whether there is a boundary between the body and the music.
Wezen - Gewording (video from 2018) from Marije Baalman on Vimeo.
Wezen-Gewording (video from 2013) from Marije Baalman on Vimeo.
Wezen-Gewording, live at International Livecoding Conference, Leeds, UK; July 14, 2015
Performance at STEIM – Concert of Bodies – 15th of March, 2014
Wezen-Gewording, live at Lydgalleriet, Ostre, Bergen, Norway from Marije Baalman on Vimeo.
- November 17, 2017, Algo-Rhythms - a livecoding event, WORM, Rotterdam, NL
- April 20, 2017, Electronic Extravaganza, Splendor, Amsterdam, NL
- October 14, 2016, 3DMIN Symposium, Berlin, DE
- May 5, 2016, Musical Organics symposium, STEIM, Amsterdam, NL
- December 17, 2015, STEIM Staff Winter Party, STEIM, Amsterdam, NL
- December 1, 2015, DAFX ‘15 Conference, Rockheim, Trondheim, NO
- July 14, 2015, International Livecoding Conference, Leeds, UK
- May 9 and 10, 2015, Kunst achter Dijken festival, Pingjum, NL
- April 23, 2015, Electrosketch, STEIM, Amsterdam, NL
- March 5, 2015, Affording Differences, METABODY Forum, Weimar, DE
- November 13, 2014, MAMCS, Strasbourgh, FR
- November 7, 2014, Landmark, Bergen, NO
- September 18, 2014, Vivo Symposium, Mexico City, MX
- July 5, 2014, Livecoding and the Body Symposium, Brighton, UK
- July 2, 2014, NIME conference, London, UK
- March 15, 2014, Concert of Bodies, STEIM, Amsterdam, NL
- February 1, 2014, White Fungus, NK, Berlin, DE
- January 18, 2014, Rammelfest, Amsterdam, NL
- November 10, 2013, Lydgalleriet, Bergen, NO
- October 24, 2013, Staff concert, STEIM, Amsterdam, NL
- September 26, 2013, Wonderwerp, Volkspaleis, Den Haag, NL
Interplay Between Composition, Instrument Design and Performance
related project: wezen-gewording